Friday, November 30, 2012

Blood Transfusions for Grandpa

So, my step-mother told me today just as I was hopping into my car from the community college that my grandpa Wayne was in the hospital.

Apparently he is super anemic and has to get blood transfusions over the next few days. My dad and Sharon went to go visit my grandpa and grandma in the hospital. I would have gone except I had a yoga final (that I totally rocked). So I am going on Friday, which is actually today about twenty-five minutes ago.

I went to the hospital once for a sick person visit, and that was for my mom when she got a viral and bacterial infection plus one or two bouts of pneumonia. It was a little scary because no one knew what was wrong with her, and the CDC still sends her letters asking if she has had any changes in her life because of her unknown illness, but she is still young, so I knew she was going to be fine after some serious medication.

My grandpa, though, will be eighty-nine on December thirteenth. He isn't someone I expect to bounce back from everything and anything. And considering how hospitals are basically Peatri Dishes for every single kind of medication resistant bacteria and virus, I don't want him hanging out there for four days.

I am just left waiting until he gets better though, which is the worst feeling in the world. I know I am usually more upbeat about things/life in general. Especially since the holidays are coming up. But this has kind of just put a giant downer on my mood. I am worried about him. He is just the most awesome person in the world. I don't want to think about the "what ifs," but anyone who knows me personally knows that I am literally going over every situation that could possibly happen in my head, good and bad.

I don't want to be depressing or anything though, for the world or for myself. So I am going to start seriously exercising again so I can make fake happiness with all those crazy exercise endorphins.

At least Sharon, who is in the medical field, can understand more of what the doctors are saying. She is keeping me in the loop. As of right now, my grandpa is feeling better after his first transfusion, and even ate all of his dinner. The doctors don't know what caused him to be so anemic though, so they are going to be running more tests on him. I hope that everything turns out okay, because I love Grandpa Wayne more than I can explain.

Maybe I will see about giving blood when I visit. I figure even if I am not a match for Grandpa, there is someone out there with their own Grandpa Wayne who needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment