Monday, November 26, 2012

Mr. Einstein

My mother and I went on a "Writing Retreat." This basically entailed renting a Kia Soul, driving to southern Missouri, and staying in a wonderful little wood cabin with a stone fireplace. We had three bottles of wine, a Rum-Runner bag of Honey Whiskey, several flavors of Kahlua, and our laptops. It was a remote enough location that there wasn't any internet or phone service to distract us.

But we did have one distraction, and that would be the bartender: Mr. Einstein.

His name was probably not Einstein, but he looked like him. And maybe a little Mark Twain-ish too. Like Mark Twain and Einstein had a baby that was really good at pouring wine and beer.



He was pretty awesome, forgetting what he had talked to us about, coming over to make conversation about books and writing. This was probably brought on because the man who owned the cabin-resort made sure that his whole family that was also staying in several different cabins knew we were there to write our asses off.

Knowing that we were trying to complete the National Novel Writing Month challenge didn't stop Mr. Einstein though.

On Friday, (the day after Thanksgiving), he came over to me while I was reading a book after feeling drained from the five thousand or so words I written earlier, and started telling me about he was so glad he was retired.

"The best thing about getting old is this, little lady," he began, tending the fire, "You can stay up all night reading a good book."

"Well, I am certainly not retired," I said, continuing the conversation, "But having responsibilities has never stopped me from staying up all night."

"Ah, well. You never had to work on the farm!"

"No, I didn't," I said, holding The Windup Girl in my lap.

"I am just telling you, it is just great how I can stay up all night reading a book. Most nights I am up until six o'clock in the morning, and then I am asleep until two in the afternoon!"

"Sounds like you are a college kid," I said with a laugh.

"Ah, well. Let me know if you girls need anything. I am the bartender you know!" I nodded and smiled. Mom was in the other room typing away, so she didn't even know about this conversation.

When Saturday night rolled around, and Mom and I decided to take another break from writing, we headed down to the dining hall and pulled out the Scrabble board to play a game. Mom was kicking my ass super hard when Mr. Einstein came over to chat some more.

"I have got to tell you," he began, "I just finished a book this morning. Stayed up until the sun came up, then retired for bed!"

"No way! Did you start it last night?" Mom gave me one of her What the fuck? smiles.

"That's right! But like I said, once you pick up a good book, you can't put it down. And the sunrise was just beautiful!" He smile and nodded, and Mom smiled back, giving me worried glances. "Anyways, I don't want to be too much of a bother. Can I bring you girls something?"

"Oh, I think I am good," I said, knowing dinner was in thirty minutes or so.

"I'm doing all right, too," Mom said. Mr. Einstein nodded, patted me on the shoulder and headed into the other room to see if anyone else needed anything. "What was that about?" Mom whispered loudly.

"Oh, we were talking last night," I said, not explaining anything, instead concentrating on the Scrabble board and my letters. I had five I's, a blank, an R, T and N.

"We didn't talk to him about books!"

"No, no. I talked to him." She looked horribly confused as I waved my hand around flippantly. "He came over last night and I chatted with him..."

"When?" It was her turn, but I was hoping to be ready for when she played. I shuffled my letters then answered her.

"After you went into the dining room so you could get internet?" I was confused about why she was so confused.

"Ooooooooooh. I thought he was going senile. I mean we had the same conversation with him twice, and then he starts up a conversation with you that doesn't make any sense. At least to me."

I laughed, "No, I knew what he was talking about." I explained about the retirement and staying up until sunrise.

"I guess we can still call him Mr. Einstein since he hasn't totally lost his marbles," Mom said, placing the coup d'etat of words on the board: HAZE going down on a triple word score, off a vertically placed ET. Fifty-five points that easily secured her winning in two more turns by a one hundred point lead.

She always has to beat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment