Friday, January 25, 2013

Going to University

My first week at university began like any first day of a new school: I was incredibly nervous AND forgot to put on deodorant. Typical.

So I had to use the public transportation all by myself for the first time, too, and I was definitely afraid I would somehow screw that up, along with screwing up getting my idea, and the free pass for the train. Luckily I did none of those things.

Like I said, I began my week by staying out too late and drinking too much on the weekend, (a bottle of tequila and a night I literally don't remember...) then on my first day forgot deodorant. I managed to somehow drag myself from the warm confines of my duvet and into the bitterly cold Tuesday morning. I didn't have gloves, but I had on long socks, jeans, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, and a coat. So basically I was hot while on the train and still not all that warm while waiting on my transfer.

When I got to school, I was mega early, (not knowing how long it would take) and so I got a coffee and decided to get my ID made. My picture looks awful. By which I mean, I look either half asleep, (which I was actually), or like I have a weird lazy eye. Apparently the guy thought I should retake the picture, and asked me if it was okay. I waved it off, of course I don't mind my picture looking like a beat-up, half asleep, zombie monster.

He printed the card out, and I went in search of my first class. It wasn't hard to find once I got my map in my head orientated to the actual world. (I hate looking/feeling like a tourist. I never carry around a map.) I found my class, found a seat, and sighed in relief.

Until the room started to warm up like butter in a microwave. I was getting more that toasty. I started taking off layers, and I tied up my hair. By the time I was cooling off again, class was over. I had to go out into the biting cold again...

But to my great surprise, it was snowing. I couldn't help smiling like a loon at the swirling white stuff. I love snow with an incredible passion.

So for the rest of my time at the school, spent getting my train pass and then walking to the train, I was smiling like a crazy person. No one talked to me, so maybe it was a good defense against weirdos.

The next day went much smoother, and I was even more tired from not falling into a fitful sleep the night before. Though I did have a weird dream about being a P.I. for the ninja turtles. Donatello lost his shell, and since the shells are "one of a kind" I was naturally hired to find the shell. I don't know if I did...

The best part of my Wednesday was my Psych class. Human Sexuality. My teacher is great. Basically the whole class was her just rambling on about how she was going to teach the class. Then she would pause dramatically and say things like, "VAGINA!" and then wait, "Is everyone alright? I don't want to frighten you with my language!"

Yesterday went even smoother, and I managed to learn something. Something being a new way to do character sketches for writing. (Since obviously I love to write.)

Just for you guys, I will give an example of how to do this exercise.

Character                               Wants                                  Actions
Gardener                               Award winning                     Creates own
Short                                            garden                               natural fertilizer
Easily sunburnt                     Own plant shop                    Uses natural and
Hates Cacti                           Find a husband                          artificial light
Loves Corgis                         A jacuzzi                             Steals special seeds


See you just start with the Character part.

Then make what your character might want. Like And award winning garden.

Then, once you pick what you want your story to be about, (the want) you decide what actions the character might or does take to make that want fulfilled. There was some other gobbligook about stuff like flat and round characters. But I thought that stuff was more fun, and definitely should help me with creating characters quickly.

Especially since I have to actually write some serious papers for the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment