Saturday, January 19, 2013

Battlestar Galactica

My dad got a Netflix account. For a normal person, that isn't a huge deal. For me, this is like finding the holy grail.

Because I love television. Especially in marathon form. It makes my day to just sit around and watch hours of television for no other reason that it is on the television. And with Netflix, I can literally do that twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week with the appropriate caffeinated beverage at hand.

So, imagine my surprise when I found this wonderful show, (called a cult television show) Battlestar Galactica in my dad's Instant Queue. "Let's watch this," I said to my father. The first two episodes are an hour and half each. Are all the episodes this long? I wondered. I liked long episodes, unlike most people. I sat and watched the whole miniseries "The Promise" on Hulu. (Which was sort of amazing, I might add.)

Dad and I watched the first two episodes, and we were hooked. It was... awesomesauce. There is no other way to explain it.

We agreed that we would watch the show together, by which I mean, I would come over and we would watch the show in the same room at the same time, and not watch ahead of each other.

I thought it was going to be a fine and dandy arrangement. Dad and Sharon had Breaking Bad to watch together, Dad and I had Battlestar Galactica. There seemed to be no way that our arrangement could go awry.

Of course, this is foreshadowing.

He started watching episodes WITHOUT me.

Basically, what it came down to was me watching episodes to catch up, and him just watching the next one. That was, until he had to go to work. And unlike me, Dad doesn't have the stamina, (constitution?) to watch episode after episode after episode. I basically have the opposite of ADD/ADHD. I can sit and do something until it is finished, no potty breaks, no water, no food.

So I watched eight episodes of uninterrupted Battlestar Galactica. Almost six hours. I was a boss.

Or so I thought. Instead, I am so far ahead of where my dad was, hat I can't hang out with him on account that I am notorious for spilling everything about plots, subplots, and so forth. I am liable to tell him exactly who the Cylons are what they are planning to do, who is banging who... I am just terrible. I ruined the whole Bones plot line of Angela and Hodgins and their sexual tension for Sharon when I pointed out that they got married and had a baby. (Needless to say she was mad. And for anyone who hasn't gotten to that part in Bones... Oops again.)

I went over to their house today, (expecting a free meal, and getting dog sitting duty) and had to go and sit by myself at Sharon's computer and watch Grey's Anatomy, (though, honestly I wasn't complaining.) just so I wouldn't ruin that episode that dad was watching.

It is a vicious cycle. Of course, I want to keep watching Battlestar Galactica, but if I go to far, I will somehow inevitably ruin it by blurting out critical/secret information. So instead I have to sit and wait for him to watch what I have already watched. Hopefully, he will be done by Sunday when I go over again, this time for a promised meal.

Oh well, in my boredom, I have found a different show called Dollhouse. Apparently it is only two seasons, (on account of cancelation) but thus far, it is pretty awesome. And I love that the girl from Firefly/Serenity pops up in the show. She is adorable even if she seems to play crazy characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment