Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Little Dark

So, as girls often do, I decided to dye my hair yet again. This time though, I decided I should try to get back to my normal color. To say that it didn't work is a bit of an understatement.


The story really begins with me in Target picking up boxes of hair dye and holding the various colors to my roots. "Is this close?" I would ask Gina.


"It's still too light," She would answer until I held up the right box. I think it was labeled "really dark brown." Which is what my hair is.


So I brought the new hair dye to Gina's. Originally, Gina was going to dye it, but we didn't have enough time before dinner and Gina's late church time, so I headed home. Mom was cooking me dinner, so I asked her to do it.


"Tomorrow?" She asked. She was too busy tonight. I agreed, but when I showed up the next night for chinese food, I had completely forgotten, and therefore had left the box of hair dye at my place.


"Tuesday," I suggested, forgetting I had Glee night to attend at Carl's house.


After class on Tuesday, remembering my previous obligation to Carl and the sacred Glee night, I decided to dye my hair myself. How hard can it be? I thought. My step-mom does it all the time.


So I proceeded to follow the directions on the box, and then began dying my hair. I had dyed my mom's hair multiple times, (by which I mean nigh on a hundred times) so I knew what I was doing. I just had to make sure to really cover the back.


I got to work, doing the under layers first and making my way up my head. When it was finally all covered, I used a clip to keep it up and waited for 25 minutes until I could wash it out.


Now I don't know if I did my math wrong or if my hair is just a super absorbent kind of material, but when I hopped in the shower and washed the dye out, conditioned it accordingly, and rinsed that out, I was left with black hair.


In a state of shock, I looked at my very dark hair. It was like I had put the night sky in my head. Concerned, I towel dried it furiously, (because I have yet to buy a hair dryer) and hoped it would get lighter.


It didn't.


I didn't look in a mirror for over an hour. I couldn't decide if I liked it. It was black. Really black. And black was sexy.


I am not so sure I am that sexy.


I can do cute, (I got the glasses, all the geeky minutia, a huge cheesy smile), but sexy is kind of a once in a while kind of thing.


Even after many people have told me how much they like my hair, I am still kind of unsure. I think it will grow on me, (literally, since it is hair).





No comments:

Post a Comment