Saturday, October 22, 2011

I'm in Love with a Stripper

Well, things are finally coming together. The painting has commenced, and to say the least, I am super excited.


I meant to write this last night, but alas, I was much too tired.


Yesterday, I came home after school and a quick stop at the post office to get stamps and went with Adam to Home Depot. I was still wearing my school clothes which consists of skinny jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and very sexy black boots. I don't think the Home Depot people thought I was the going to be painting.


We started collecting our supplies: tapered paintbrushes, 3/4 inch fluff rollers, tarps, blue masking tape, and finally paint.


I was excited to get the paint mostly. Adam was really into getting things that would keep everything in the studio clean. After my first attempt to get paint was thwarted by a very tall and very wide man, I had to wait patiently to get someone else's attention.


A few more employees made their way to the paint area and I got helped, and Adam and I had to wait while things got mixed. I got bored and started playing on the computer that was supposed to help people pick colors for rooms. I used my color and was more than delighted to see how awesome the computer made it look.


We checked out, everything being just under a hundred dollars. Mom kept saying how it is no big deal in reference to them spending money like that, but I still feel like I owe them something. Money doesn't grow on trees!


When Adam and I got home, we headed straight over to my studio, (it is soooooooo cool saying that!) and started moving all the important things around to the center of the floor, and then began taping everything.


I started working on the base boards but somehow managed to be the person who was taping the ceiling and above the doorways. Considering I don't like ladders in the slightest, I am really unsure as to how I got that job.


When I was close to done with the high stuff and Adam was close to the low stuff, Mom and Alex came over. Mom gave Adam a beer, prompting me to ask where my beer was. She informed me I didn't get a beer because she was buying me pizza. I figured that was a good trade off, considering I don't like beer that much.


Mom ordered pizza, and then picked up the roller. I had to stop and appreciate the color.


Now I know I said I wanted to paint the studio blue, but honestly, the gold-yellow of the kitchen just did not mix well with blue. So I went with this really strong, vibrant green. And I must say, I loved the color.


I was afraid that the color would maybe be to dark, or too green, but it really brightens the room up. I am totally excited to just move in and see this great green color.


I am only doing two walls, leaving the walls against the door and window white. It looks amazing. Plus the closet door is dark wood which goes well with the forest green of the wall.


After I finished the last wall, I took up the roller duties and started painting. Mom started painting all the little detail areas while I covered the walls in my fabulous green color.


Before I finished my wall, Adam painted a symbol on the wall for good energy, so now my studio is going to be full of energy and awesomeness.


I started moving onto the higher parts of the wall, and began singing, "I'm in love with this color!"


Alex and Adam both quipped, "That isn't the tune."


Mom asked, "The tune to what?"


I said, "The song, I'm in love with a stripper."


Alex nodded, adding, "Don't you know that song?"


"No...Do you know that song Adam?"


Adam nodded.


"What the hell? I don't know that song!" We didn't think it was important to tell her that she didn't listen to the radio, so of course she didn't know the song! Sometimes my mom was just plain silly.


I finished one part of the wall just as the pizza arrived, and we all sat down to eat. I happily looked at our handy work. My excitement levels were rising just looking at my new place.


When we were done eating, Adam and Alex decided to head back over to the house, and Mom and I continued painting. It was nice because we were able to talk about a lot of things.


We got the first coat on the walls and started cleaning up. Adam come back over to close up the paint and put the rollers away, and then we were on our way back home. Mom took a lot of pictures of my new place on her phone, which I excitedly told her to post to Facebook.


In retrospect, I think I should have waited for the Facebook pictures. I had a second conversation with my dad, explaining how I was moving out and that the cost was not going to be much more than my car payment, and maybe even less.


Still, I don't think he has told Sharon. And since both of them are my friends on Facebook, the shit might just hit the fan the next time I come home. It's things like this that make me sigh, shake my head, and chew my nails down to stubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment