Thursday, August 30, 2012

Blurry, Blurry

My vision has been bothering me for a while. Since I was in second grade I have been wearing glasses in some kind of capacity. I have always felt, especially in high school, that my glasses were kind of like a block to me being attractive.

I started wearing contacts six years ago, but allergies have always kept me from really being able to wear them on a constant basis. At best, I can wear my contacts all through winter, but maybe only four times a month any other part of the year.

It was really troubling though when this past year, I couldn't wear my contacts hardly at all. It was even more disappointing when my eyes became so bothered by my attempted contact use that I actually ended up with really sore, tired, red eyes. All this summer I have been fighting my eyes, starting with the red eye, and moving onto more serious eye problems of having seriously crusted eyes in the morning, to extreme light sensitivity, to blurred vision in my left eye.

I finally went to the doctor to try to clear things up. It has been greatly frustrating not knowing what is wrong with my eyes, so instead of going to my regular eye doctor, I decided to go to Clarkson.

It was there that I finally got some answers.

I explained how much my eyes bother me, and how badly my vision was blurred, including the fact that the blurred vision was accompanied by extreme light sensitivity. The doctor looked at my eyes, explained exactly what he was doing, and gave me a clear diagnosis.

I basically have chronically dry eyes. They are so dry that the normal stuff that usually lands on people's eyes, like dust and other shit, can't be washed out of my eyes. My left eye is way worse off than my right eye, but the doctor told me that my right eye was definitely on its way to becoming just as cloudy.

He gave me a prescription to help me. Basically I have to take these steroids four times a day, and my eye should start to heal itself.

Sadly, there is no guarantee that my eyes are ever going to get better. I have almost no tear production in my eyes, so I might always have to have artificial tears. And I may never be able to wear contacts, no matter how much I absolutely love them.

But on the plus side, my secret fear of going blind seems to be nothing more than a fear. So for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment